In Southern California, there are not many opportunities to work in a large, distinguished non-profit Faith based ministry. The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the Least, the Last, and the Lost in our community for over 50 years. Employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is searching for an experienced Safety and Security Supervisor manage all activities related to global safety and security including planning, organizing and implementing safety and security programs in compliance with state, federal, safety, health and fire codes. This position is responsible for preventing dangers, accidents and safety hazards within a particular area, such as offices, student campus areas, warehouse and outdoor common areas. This includes deterring access to and possession of RM banned or illegal drugs and substances. This position is also responsible for managing the Orange County Rescue Mission’s Operation OC program, including maintaining/updating plan documents, training and supervising volunteers, attending local emergency preparedness summits and meetings.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (job duties may change within the needs of the department):
Safety Job Duties
- Preform Generator test and Fire Drills periodically (best practices), but no less than every (6) six months.
- Conduct and maintain a schedule of safety inspections for all RM campuses, including recommended inspections of fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and other fire/safety systems
- Assess the current condition of electrical, air conditioning, plumbing, grounds and other essential facilities and equipment.
- Manage all safety and security vendors, including by not limited to, fire system, Security Company, IT, Elevator Company, lock and safe company and mobile radio company.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures that affect the safe utilization of all areas within the organization
- Create, develop, maintain Safety Response Teams for all facilities within the organization. Ensure that proper training is provided to any employee/volunteer/student in compliance with Company policies and procedures, OSHA/CALOSHA and state/federal regulations.
- Maintain all OSHA documentation, logs, forums, safety materials and emergency supplies. As well as incident reports and inspection reports for all facilities.
- Create monitoring systems or programs to detect problems as early as possible.
- Initiate interventions to solve problems in the areas of safety and security.
- Ensures the safety of the building or establishment from fire, flood and other hazard.
- Initiate an active campaign on safety measures in the building.
- Prepare pertinent records and reports and immediate corrective action to address any safety hazards or security issues.
- Acts as the emergency services dispatcher for the Rescue Mission.
- Coordinates and maintains a comprehensive emergency disaster preparedness plan for all Rescue Mission sites, including response and recovery phases for a wide range of emergencies and disasters.
- Act as liaison and partners with key federal, state, and local organizations, as well as schools, and local hospitals.
- Disseminate information and educational materials pertaining to disaster preparedness prior to and in the event of a natural disaster or crisis situation.
- Plans, designs and executes disaster preparedness and emergency evacuation training and simulation exercises.
- Provides current and ongoing disaster preparedness information and training to employees, students and volunteers.
- Performs all necessary damage assessment and recovery efforts.
- Conducts an analysis of potential hazards in and develops corresponding action plans.
- Assists with securing grant funding specific for emergency preparedness programs and equipment.
Security Job Duties
- Develop a back-up or alternative system for common security problems such as power/water outage/ shortage.
- Maintain OCRM radio equipment. Make sure radio equipment is in compliance with FCC regulations. Continue to program and fix mobile radio issues.
- At the direction and request of HR Director, provide specified video segments and badge access reports.
- At the direction and request of management level program staff, provide specified video segments and badge access reports for students.
- At the direction of program staff, or when drugs are suspected on campus, perform controlled drug testing and alcohol screening on program participants.
- Create ID card badges for all facilities and grant door access. Continue to maintain Card Access systems and CCTV cameras.
- Install and Program CCTV cameras for facilities and troubleshoot issues.
- Maintain and order Security and Safety supplies.
- Continue to following up with Drug Testing at all HFH facilities and maintain log book.
- Work on parking and security for Events at VOH.
- Maintain parking permits and lists for Hurtt staff, OCRM staff, and Students. Enforce parking and walk lots.
- Develop staff development and cross-training programs that ensure continuity of service and internal training opportunities.
- Work with management regarding risk-management, safety and security concerns. Coordinate with the upper management on work issues.
- Trains and ensure all staff, visitors and students are aware of and comply with company, government, and policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Directs all aspects of Operation by administering, directing, and reviewing emergency services, projects, and program objectives, ensuring that the organization is prepared to respond effectively in the event of emergencies.
- Build and maintain partnerships with County and community organizations to facilitate plan development, response effort coordination, and exchanges of personnel and equipment.
- Designs clear policies and procedures for all emergency services programs and monitors, evaluates, and modifies them as needed to ensure that programs will perform effectively in an emergency and in compliance with legal requirements.
- Reviews and analyzes emergency management policies, government regulations, and other factors to develop emergency management plans that conform to best practices.
- Develops methods to improve emergency management policies, processes, and practices, and recommend changes to management.
- Develops procedures for use of the Incident Command System and fulfilling all positions for Operation OC EOC.
- Recruits, builds, coordinates, and establishes direction and priorities for a network of agencies, nonprofit organizations, businesses and churches that will successfully cooperate to meet individual and community needs during times of crisis.
- Recruits, identifies, trains, continually develops and communicates with individuals who will be able to perform general and specific roles in both non-emergency and emergency situations.
- Raise the visibility of OperationOC in the community.
- Represent OCRM and Operation OC before civic, nonprofit and business entities and in a variety of forums. Make sure to attend all meetings.
- Supervises any assigned paid and volunteer personnel.
- Manages staff involved in disaster response or crisis management activities such as ordering evacuations, opening public shelters, and implementing special needs plans and programs.
- Develops materials and communication instruments that are appropriate and timely.
- Surveys and maintains emergency facilities, equipment and communication systems.
- Updates website to accurately reflect OperationOC mission, vision and values as well as upcoming events, training opportunities (OpOC and non-OpOC specific), disaster news, Partnership information, etc.
- Maintain MOU’s make sure they are current with all other agencies and organizations.
- Maintains familiarity with specialized and technical equipment and processes.
- Collaborate with other officials in order to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies.
- Assesses the types of emergency-related needs that will need to be addressed in disaster planning.
This position supervises 1 full-time employee.
1. A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible and a completed OC Rescue Mission employment application with the signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- Christ-centered behavior, i.e., treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times while representing the OC Rescue Mission.
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A pleasant personality to people you are speaking to on the telephone, visitors, and company personnel. The ability to act and think promptly and professionally.
- Demonstrated leadership coupled with a “detailed approach” to administration and organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Safety and de-escalation skills are highly needed in to deal with people in crises occasionally.
- Ability to address conflict with staff, as well as donors, and be able to intercede and find reasonable solutions in order to maintain harmonious relations.
- Hands-on security systems experience with set up, maintenance and trouble shooting. Basic knowledge of using a Walkie Talkie and TV video surveillance.
- Basic computer knowledge and experience working in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer). Database entry working with security systems is required.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Ability to work independently and being self-motivated and with the ability to be flexible when working as a team.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record), Class B driver’s license preferred but not required.
- Dependable timely scheduled attendance.
- The Orange County Rescue Mission is considered an “Essential Employer” during community crisis/disasters/emergencies, therefor your employment is considered “essential” and you will be expected to show up and perform your essential job duties as designated by the organization.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. This position is regularly required to walk at a fast pace and occasionally run. This position requires the employee to walk up and down stairs, enter tight spaces and work in confined areas during inspections. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.