The HURTT Family Health Clinic is a Community Health Clinic Organization is a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) and provides healthcare to the neediest of our Orange County, CA community members. The HFHC is looking to add a part time (1-2 days a week) Administrative Pharmacist to our growing organization. This position will provide clinical pharmacy services such as design, implement and conduct medication usage evaluations; delivers drug information and drug education services.
JOB DUTIES (Including but not limited to the following):
- Dispenses, fill orders with correct medication medication when necessary.
- Assures prescription labels are processed accurately
- Handle and maintain all controlled substances records
- Prioritize prescription order filling according to urgency or in order of importance
- Clinical dosing and/or monitoring of patients on specialized medicines.
- Report Pharmacist interventions and Quality Management (QM) activities
- Provide consultation with Physicians/Psychiatrists regarding drug therapy of patients
- Visual checking of all medications dispensed by the automated machine for accuracy
- Maintaining security of the Pharmacy and safety of pharmacy staff by ensuring that staff understand and follow all safety protocols
- Performs patient assessments and monitors the effects of drug therapy using clinical symptoms, evaluating laboratory data, and other relevant clinical diagnostic techniques.
- Interviews patients to obtain information regarding drug use, drug allergies and sensitivities, and medication histories; assesses compliance and counsels patients on appropriate drug use.
- Participates in ongoing medication usage evaluation programs by assisting in the establishment of criteria for cost effectiveness/control utilization use, process indicators, and monitoring parameters; conducts evaluations to determine compliance to the established medication use evaluation criteria; summarizes results and submits recommendations to the Medical Director or Chief Executive Officer.
- Participates in the establishment of critical pathways to ensure optimal medication usage.
- Provides comprehensive drug information services for healthcare providers and patients, including developing pharmaceutical newsletters, patient education materials, and assessment and evaluation of formulary requests to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
- Designs and conducts in-service and educational programs regarding drug therapy for healthcare providers, pharmacists, and students on a variety of health related services.
- Critically analyzes, evaluates, and prepares recommendations of medical literature in relation to medication therapy.
- Advises and assists in implementing cost containment strategies for the usage of pharmaceutical products.
- Reviews journals and periodicals and meets with pharmaceutical product specialists to discuss current market conditions, managed care implications, disease state management, and obtain information to implement cost containment strategies and develop therapeutic outcome studies.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to ensure optimal pharmaceutical care.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education: Doctorate degree in Pharmacology from an accredited college or university.
- Valid current license to practice as a Registered Pharmacist*** issued by the California State Board of Pharmacy.
- A valid California drivers’ license and acceptable driving record (organization Insurance Coverage requires no more than 2points on MVR)
Experience: Three (3) or more years of experience working in an acute care or community health clinic setting as a registered pharmacist.
- Full understanding and knowledge on current pharmacology practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to community health.
- Experience monitoring and evaluating patients’ drug therapy
- Ability to Interpret and analyze patient specific medical data
- Ability to make competent decisions and solve problems efficiently
- Exercising professional judgment in imparting therapeutic and drug information to prescribers, especially when patient is allergic to drug prescribed or drug-drug interactions
- Identifying and determining which drug on the current formulary could be recommended to patients or purchasing Non-formulary drug
- Dispensing drugs appropriately to prevent potential harm/risk of injury to patient
- Developing improvement pharmacy processes and services to meet client’s needs
- Ability to make independent decision when circumstances warrant such action.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, visitors, government agencies and the general public.
- Must be able to work with patients with disabilities, behavioral health issues, and at times hostile patients within the clinics.
- Ability to demonstrate effective decision-making by assessing situations accurately, sharing fact-based information, communicating professional opinions clearly and inquiring actively.
- Ability to work autonomously, taking initiative and problem-solving within the scope of a licensed pharmacist.
- Flexibility to perform in an ever-changing work environment with frequent interruptions.
- Knowledge and understand the psychosocial factors involved in administering health service for underserved community and homeless patients.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural and socio-economic environment with the ability to treat all with dignity, compassion and respect at all times.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to provide the basic principles of patient education.
- Ability to foster a safe and confidential environment where people (patients) feel comfortable to share private, pertinent information for effective treatment.
- Demonstrated “detail-approach” to administration, organization and decision-making.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in verbal and in written form to patients, coworkers, management, volunteers and visitors in a professional and positive manner.
- Educated on current state laws and regulations regarding community clinic patient care and pharmacy.
- Maintain required licensing / certifications and CME requirements in a timely manner and continuously work on professional development in area of expertise.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information regarding organization and patient information as appropriate.
- Self-motivated when working in the team environment and have the ability to work effectively on individual projects when needed.
- Uphold professional integrity as a representative of the of the HURTT Family Health Clinic organization at all times.
- Basic computer knowledge, understanding and skill in Microsoft Office Software programs such as: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Edge.
- Basic Electronic Health/Medical Records (EHR/EMR) database system knowledge (knowledge and skill of eClinicalWorks is preferred but not required)
- Regular timely attendance.
- This position and employment is considered “Essential Employment” and will be expected to continue job duties with flexibility for the HURTT Family Healthcare Clinic during a community crisis, disaster or emergency.
- Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.
The Hurtt Clinic is affiliated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, a non-profit; Faith based organization that serves the needs of the low income and homeless community members of Orange County, CA. To officially apply for this position, please go to the HURTT Clinic Employment Portal by taking the link below “APPLY HERE” to complete a HURTT Clinic employment application. Please use a computer as mobile devices seem to have problems when applying. You may also request and submit an application be emailed to you or you may pick up an application to complete at our main HR office located at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. You may submit your application by email, fax (714)566-6461or regular mail (attention Human Resources). This position is open until filled.