The HURTT Family Health Clinic is a nonprofit health clinic that serves the needs of low-income families of Orange County, California. The Hurtt Family Health Clinic is looking to fill a full time Medical Assistant vacancy. This position will work as part of the primary care team to provide high quality, efficient and service oriented patient care while demonstrating the health center’s core values. The medical assistant works alongside physicians, mid-level providers, behavioral health professionals, registered nurses and other support staff support to delivery direct patient care services. The medical assistant is responsible for executing standing orders as well as anticipating the needs of the care team in order to help facilitate the delivery of quality clinical care and a positive patient experience. The medical assistant is responsible for actively participating in the health center’s quality and continuous improvement activities.
Some of the Job Duties are (but not limited to):
Direct Patient Care
- Determines reason for patient’s visit by reviewing patient’s medical record and/or questioning patient regarding medical complaint.
- Documents patient’s symptoms and observations in the electronic medical record.
- Accurately reviews and updates patient’s social history and medication lists in the electronic health record.
- Performs patient care functions in accordance with stand orders and as directed by clinic physicians, mid-level providers or nurses. Activities include but are not limited to: taking vital signs, applying/removing dressings; reporting adverse reactions or changes in patient’s condition to appropriate personnel; explaining health education and referral information to patient as directed.
- Accurately and efficiently performs routine medical assistant duties such as: administration of immunizations, TB testing, venipuncture, audiometer examination, visual acuity, ear lavage, ECG, respiratory treatments, and other routine medical functions as directed by the provider and according to established procedures.
- Collects specimens from patients such as urine, stool, or blood, and prepares specimen for laboratory pick-up for analysis as directed; performs routine laboratory tests such as urine dipstick, pregnancy test, and hemoglobin or blood sugar finger stick.
- Assists medical personnel with minor surgical procedures and/or diagnostic examinations; provides support to patients and other assistance as directed or required; completes necessary arrangements or organizes treatment rooms prior to surgical and/or examination procedures; obtains patient consent prior to surgical procedure.
- Facilitates the check-out process, including: providing the patient with their clinical summary, scheduling follow up or next day appointments and exiting the patient from the health center or to the laboratory check-in.
Back Office Duties
- Ensures that each exam room is properly cleaned, equipped and supplied.
- Monitors inventory of medical supplies and orders needed provisions following standard health center inventory control processes.
- Maintains agreed standard of cleanliness and organization in assigned work areas.
- Properly removes soiled paper goods and disposable medical supplies.
- According to established protocols, properly cleans previously used instruments, prepares for sterilization and autoclave.
- Provides positive, supportive and caring behavior in all communications with patients, visitors, health center staff and community members.
- Adheres to the policies, procedures, and standards of Hurtt Family Health Clinic.
- Acts as Spanish-English interpreter between provider and client when needed. Interprets accurately and at a level appropriate for the client.
- Following standard protocols, manages assigned provider’s message queues.
- Ensures all patient logs, immunization records, consents and other forms are complete.
- Responsible for accurately preparing patient records for upcoming visits, including obtaining needed medical records, reviewing standing orders and accessing for clinical measures.
- Ensures that all documentation is available for pre-operation and hospital follow-up appointments.
- Relays messages to medical personnel; returns calls to patients as directed; answers questions and instructs patients in self-care as directed. As directed, follows up with patients who are a no-show for their appointment.
- Cross trains in other clinic areas and fills in as requested in the front office, medical records, case management and laboratory.
These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
The Medical Assistant position requires:
- High School Diploma with a min of 6 months to 1 year of related work experience.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English.
- Experience in a Community Clinic setting and knowledgeable of State/County program, Medi-Cal, CalOptima, CHDP, CDP, and F-Pact is a preferred.
- One year experience or training in a health care setting. Experience working in an electronic health record (EHR). ECW EHR experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, ability to multi-task and demonstrate a “detail-approach” to administration and organization.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experienced data entry with proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer) with basic typing ability of 40 wpm.
- The ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- The ability to receive instruction and perform instruction accordingly.
- Regular timely attendance.
- A pleasant personality to people you are speaking to on the telephone, visitors, and company personnel and treat people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times.
The Hurtt Clinic is affiliated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, a non-profit; Faith based organization that serves the needs of the homeless. To apply and be considered for this position you must complete an application, please take the link “apply here” to fill out the online application. You may obtain an application through our website or by picking up at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. You may submit your application by mail (attention Human Resources), through our website or our fax (714)566-6461. This position is open until filled.
We are currently transitioning to our new applicant tracking system. During this time, please email your application to [email protected] or fax to 714-566-6461. Thank you!