The Orange County Rescue Mission is a nonprofit Christian Faith based organization that assists the needy and homeless population of Orange County and parts of the Inland Empire. The Rescue Mission is looking for a part time kitchen cook to join our kitchen staff. The position will be responsible for cooking recipes in large volume to feed our program students (up to 200 people per meal) 3 meals per day, breakfast/lunch/dinner quickly and to correct temperatures. This kitchen is open 7 days a week but this position works only Monday thru Friday 12-6pm with occasional extra assistance during our busy season. The ideal candidate should have at least 3-4 years of solid knowledge in food preparation and cooking and be well-equipped to perform the following tasks:
- Set up and break down the food prep station
- Able to follow recipes and prepare a variety of basic dishes accordingly
- Use knowledge of common allergies and dietary restrictions to modify recipes on the fly when requested
- Use the correct portions when cutting and serving
- Pro-actively use non-peak service time to prepare for peak service times and rushes
- Avoid food waste by observing food storage time and temperature standards
- Restock the food stations with food products as needed
- Complete assigned daily/ weekly/ monthly cleaning tasks
- Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, and utensils
- Operate and clean food prep station including [any applicable: steam tables, mixers, griddles, meat slicer, gas burners, flat-top grill, char grill, hood vents, fryers, reach-in refrigerators, reach in freezers etc.]
- Execute safe knife handling skills and safe use of all kitchen equipment
- Explain, train and monitor student workers in basic cooking skills to assist you in preparing meals as well as providing job training skills to re-enter the job force eventually.
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, completed OC Rescue Mission employment application with a signed Statement of Faith acknowledgement and member of a Bible believing church.
- High School Diploma, a culinary degree is a plus, though not required.
- 1-2 years/ at least 3 years/ some experience in a high-volume, quick service restaurant kitchen
- Current Servsafe Food handling Certification
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Ability to read, write, and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- A desire to work on a team, learn new techniques and to share knowledge with teammates when possible
- Requires sound judgment regarding use of equipment, tools, material, and manpower.
- Ability to work in areas with extreme heat conditions and frequent interaction with gas burners, heated equipment, grease, sharp machinery, and other at-risk conditions. Position requires a lot of repetitive motion; walking and/or standing for extended periods of time. Frequent lifting, pushing, and carrying.
- Basic Typing skills with the knowledge and ability to use basic computer email system like Outlook email and Microsoft Word.
- Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining professional, flexible, proactive, resourceful, confidential and efficient.
- Strong decision making ability, problem analysis and solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal or written and customer service with all staff, students, volunteers and guests in person and on the phone.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record)
To apply for this position you must complete an application and the Statement of Faith. Please take the application link to the OC Rescue Mission Employment website to find the job link www.rescuemission.org/employment. You may also obtain an application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications in person, by mail (attention Human Resources) or fax (714)566-6461.Full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.