The OC Rescue Mission is looking for a Food Services Manager to oversee our very busy Food Services Department. The position will manage the Food Services Department in all areas including ensuring that daily meals and snacks are provided 3x a day for the Village of Hope residents. This position will also provide daily Ministry mentor supervision over a small rotating group of program students while they learn new job skill training in kitchen services to ensure their growth while in the OCRM programs.
Job Duties are (subject to change):
· Oversees the planning of menus, events and catering menus, preparing and apportioning foods, and utilizing food surpluses and leftovers for all meals at the Village of Hope.
· Develop, provide and maintain job specific training programs to train food services staff of program students & volunteers.
· Mentor program students using Biblical based knowledge in their day to day skill training, work growth and any minor difficulties they reveal. Proactively problem solve any personnel issues with program students and assigned case manager to ensure a harmonious and effective work environment for all.
· Supervises non cooking staff to ensure cleanliness of kitchen and equipment.
· Provide supervision over cooking staff in food service preparation ensuring that food is cooked, tastes/smells and visually conforms as required to prepared recipes standards.
· Purchases or meets with purchasing agent to requisition needed food, kitchen supplies, and equipment,
· Proactively problem solve and coordinate repairs of all kitchen and dining room equipment.
· Meets with professional staff of nutritionist or dietitians to plan, change, test, and standardize recipes to increase number of servings prepared when needed.
· Meet, communicate and plan all catering and special event requests with internal and external customers to ensure that needs are met and event is successful.
· Source local food donors to enhance and continuously improve the flow of high quality usable products and food items with a forward thinking mindset of expanding internal and external food service opportunities.
· Manage the Food Services budget by meal planning and portion control costs. Assessing all food donations/inventory to specify number of servings to be made from any vegetable, meat, beverage, and dessert to control portion costs.
· Manages all incoming food in record keeping regarding purchases, donations, repurposing donated food for meals or other organizations, stocking inventory.
· Maintains a safe clean kitchen that complies with County Health Regulations and cooperates with County Health inspectors and follows their requirements.
· Work at occasional special events during holiday season, weekends and special events when necessary (Thanksgiving Day morning at the Turkey Trot event and ensuring the kitchen is prepped to serve “dinner” in the late afternoon to local people in need)
Supervisory Job Duties:
Supervision/Management responsibilities are in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Some of these responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; timekeeping, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. This position supervises or manages several levels of staff in Food Services.
· Food Services Assistant Manager – supervises a total of three employees in the Food Service Department (food rescue drivers). The Assistant Manager is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units.
· Program Students: Three program students that rotate throughout the day are assigned to support food services.
· Volunteers & Visitors: Pre Scheduled volunteers and or visitors will need supervision while donating their time to assist in food prep or serving in the VOH kitchen.
Minimum Requirement Qualifications:
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, completed OC Rescue Mission employment application with a signed Statement of Faith acknowledgement and member of a Bible believing church.
- An Associate’s Degree or Technical School Certificate with education or training in Food Services or Culinary School. An education equivalency may be requested with a High School diploma/GED and more years in specific related work experience, please ask human resources.
- 5+yrs. of successful food services/kitchen/restaurant work experience including front and back of the house.
- 2+yrs. of successful increasing supervision or leadership of a small staff in food services/kitchen/restaurant genre including scheduling and timesheet approval process.
- Proven experience in restaurant kitchen food preparation and planning skills e.g. excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving and follow-through skills related to kitchen training, and various unplanned food donations.
- Ability to comprehend and facilitate policy documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledgeable and experience in food safety procedures, OSHA safety procedures, kitchen project planning, budgeting, and scheduling.
- Requires sound judgment regarding use of kitchen equipment, tools, material, and manpower.
- Good physical condition, able to occasionally lift 20 lbs. safely.
- Excellent organization and administrative skills with the ability to prioritize requests, follow procedures and keep accurate records.
- Basic Typing and Computer skills: Microsoft (Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer). Experience entering database info and timekeeping and/or payroll systems.
- Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining professional, flexible, proactive, resourceful, confidential and efficient.
- Strong decision making ability, problem analysis and solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written abilities with all staff, students, volunteers and guests in person and on the phone. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence and speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record.
To apply for this position you must complete an OC Rescue Mission application and the Statement of Faith. Please take the application link below “APPLY HERE” to our online employment portal. You may also obtain an application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications in person, by mail (attention Human Resources) or fax (714)566-6461. Salary is contingent on experience and full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.