The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the least, the last, and the lost in our community for over 50 years. Our organization is funded solely by private donations and employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is seeking an experienced Food Services Assistant Manager to join the Food Services team. This position will assist the Food Services Manager with managing all Food Service Department activities including catering, outreach meals, Chili Van, special events, and daily meals and snacks prepared for the Village of Hope. Oversees catering services provided to events, external clients, and manages all food rescue operations, including but not limited to, Starbucks and Vons food rescue. Ensures that the Kitchen and all related services and products meet high standards set for food quality, taste, cleanliness of food prep and service areas, safety, security and expense control. Adheres to the Food Services budget and maintains good-will with all donors to enhance and continuously improve the flow of high quality usable products and food items.
JOB DUTIES (duties/responsibilities are subject to change due to the needs of the department or organization):
- Works alongside the Food Services Manager in maintaining the highest level of nutrition in all meals
- Assists in the planning of menus for all meals at the Village of
- Coordinates the daily kitchen work schedule with the Food Services
- Supervises assigned Cooks and tastes, smells, and observes food to ensure conformance with recipes and appearance standards.
- Provides job specific training to staff, volunteers and students as per by the Food Service Manager’s Job Specific Training Program.
- Assures that food portion controls and quality service to clients as directed by the Food Services
- Ensures that staff, volunteers and students following recommended number of servings to be made from any vegetable, meat, beverage, and dessert to control portion costs
- Oversees the planning, preparation and delivery of contracted catering services.
- Assists in the planning of all food services, events and catering menus, preparing and apportioning foods, and utilizing food surpluses and leftovers.
- At the request of the Food Service Manager, meets with professional staff, customers, or client group to resolve menu inconsistencies or to plan menus for special occasions.
- Willingness to work holidays, weekends and special events.
- Monitors current inventories of all kitchen supplies and food items available in the facilities and warehouse
- Assists in the purchase of foodstuffs, kitchen supplies, and equipment, or requisitions them from Purchasing Agent.
- Maintains all supply records and inventories of purchased and donated food items.
- Works closely with the Food Services Manager as necessary to purchase, acquire and coordinate repairs of all kitchen and dining room
- Submit reports to the Food Services Manager of inventory reductions and supply needs.
- Monitors security for all kitchen supplies.
- Supervises assigned non-cooking personnel students and volunteers to ensure cleanliness of kitchen and equipment.
- Maintains a clean food service facility at all times in accordance with Serve Safe
- Maintains a safe clean kitchen that complies with County Health Regulations and cooperates with County Health inspectors and follows their
Volunteer & Training:
- Coordinates the volunteer calendar with the Volunteer Manager for kitchen/dining
- Supervises volunteer kitchen help during appropriate shift.
- Oversees the Student Food Services Training Program and reports via email or data base entry to appropriate Case Manager concerning student behavior, job performance, and
Food Rescue (program on hold currently due to Covid-19):
- Coordinates and schedules drivers for Grocery Rescue and Starbucks Rescue Routes.
- Manages and directs all communication with Second Harvest pertaining to Grocery Rescue and Starbucks Rescue Routes.
- Supervises drivers and direct communication pertaining to routes, timecards, scheduling, performance reviews, organizational concerns, and HR related matters.
- Maintains and manages vehicles used for Grocery Rescue and Starbucks Rescue Routes. (Maintenance and Upkeep) w/Second Harvest
Supervisory Job Responsibilities
Manages 5-7 employees (food rescue drivers and kitchen assistants). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Minimum Requirement Qualifications:
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, involvement in a local Bible believing church, completed and signed OCEM employment application and Statement of Faith acknowledgment.
- A minimum of 2 years of assisting management or management of a Kitchen or related work environment.
- Associates degree is strongly preferred but will consider an equivalently with more related work experience.
- Certifications to maintain: Serve Safe, CPR, First Aide and AED.
- A minimum of 1 year of successful related work experience as a supervisor and with hands-on responsibility in project planning, administration, budgeting, and scheduling
- Professional and detail oriented in administrative and organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written forms.
- Christ-centered behavior i.e., treating all people with dignity, respect, compassion, and integrity at all times.
- Ability to prioritize, follow directions/procedures, make efficient decisions, proactively analyze and solve problems, be detailed and organized.
- Self-starter, flexible/adaptable, proactive problem solver, and cooperative to accommodate job demands.
- Good physical condition with the ability to work in a kitchen environment requiring occasional extreme temperature differences with refrigeration and ovens, continual walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, and he ability to safely lift and/or carry up to 40lbs.
- Ability to interact with students, volunteers, visitors and staff (at all levels) in person or over the phone in a professional, positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, confidential and efficient manner in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer). Basic typing and knowledge of database entry for tracking records, reporting and maintenance is needed.
- Dependable scheduled timely attendance.
- OC rescue Mission is considered essential employment and will be required to work during community crisis and emergency disasters to provide care for the population we serve.
- A valid California Driver’s License with acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 MVR points)
To apply for this position you must complete an application and the Statement of Faith. Please go to the OC Rescue Mission Employment portal www.rescuemission.org/employment. You may also obtain a hard copy application by download from our website or in person at our main office front desk located at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications by mail or in person (addressed to the Human Resources department), by email or by fax (714)566-6461. Salary/Pay rate is contingent on experience and full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.