The Orange County Rescue Mission is a Faith based organization to assist the homeless and needy of Orange County, California. The Rescue Mission is looking for a part time Education Coordinator at our main location in Tustin, CA. This position will support the collaboration between Tustin Unified School District’s Adult Education Program and Rescue Mission in the implementation and expansion of the High School Diploma Program by providing educational counseling, assistance, and academic support to the students at the Rescue Mission in effort to meet the needs and outcomes of completing high school credits and passing the California HS Exit Exam (CAHSEE). This position will require 25 hours per week (must be flexible and willing to work some evenings and Saturdays) Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm may be required.
Some of the Job Duties are:
- Act as a liaison between Tustin Unified School District’s Adult Education administrators and OCRM.
- Attend meetings with TUSD Adult Ed. administrators to ensure effective and accurate implementation of H.S. diploma program curriculum in order to take the CAHSEE if and when it becomes available again.
- Request transcripts from last high school attended by students.
- Coordinate with Tustin Unified Adult Education Program administrators to determine credits and classes needed for completion of high school diploma.
- Assess and monitor students’ educational needs and progress.
- Report student progress to OCRM Success Center Manager and Case Managers.
- Oversee weekly study hall hours for students at OCRM.
- Document student study hall attendance .
- Facilitate and follow up on one-to-one tutorial assistance between volunteer tutors and OCRM students
- Assist students with understanding how to complete packets for coursework, enter information into on-line math program and on-line grammar program, document elective coursework, and document physical education course work
- Hold various walk-in tutorial hours throughout the week to assist students with completion of coursework during their available study hours
- Hold orientation sessions for new students and volunteer tutors
- Maintain an active pool of volunteer tutors to assist with OCRM students in completion of coursework
- Act as a liaison between volunteer tutors, OCRM students, and Success Center Manager
- Provide assistance in supporting students’ educational aspirations beyond H.S. diploma
- Collect data and statistics on the success of program and analyze where improvements can be made.
- Maintain H.S. diploma programs for all OCRM campus including Double R Ranch and Corona Norco Rescue Mission
These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
This position requires:
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, member of a Bible believing church and a signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field preferred. Demonstrated working experience in teaching, education, tutoring, and academic advisement can be substituted for educational background OR a combination of both education and working experience to make equivalent.
- Knowledge of California High School Education Requirements for Graduation and CAHSEE program and/or the new laws or alternative programs to obtain a HS degree.
- Demonstrated “detail approach” to all administrative and organizational duties. Ability to take initiative to identify and propose new tasks and procedures.
- Compassionate behavior, i.e., treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times.
- Motivational personality and attitude to assist students in maintaining the drive to continue on to completion.
- A pleasant personality to people you are speaking with over the telephone, visitors and company personnel.
- The ability to act and think promptly and professionally.
- Ability to foster a safe environment where people will feel comfortable to share private pertinent information to assist promoting outcomes educational and academic success.
- Demonstrated self-motivation, confidentiality, and flexibility within all areas of responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer) including the ability to utilize electronic medical records database and reporting functions.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Regular timely attendance with flexibility in work schedule to include some evening and occasional weekend work hours.
All applicants must complete an application and a Statement of Faith. PLEASE FIND THE “APPLY HERE” LINK ON THIS JOB PAGE TO APPLY ONLINE. You may also obtain a hard copy of the application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. You may submit your application in person, via mail (attention Human Resources), the OCRM website or via fax 714-566-6461. For questions, please email [email protected]. This position is open until filled.