The Orange County Rescue Mission is a Faith based organization to assist the homeless and needy of Orange County, California. The Rescue Mission is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Driver to fill an upcoming full time vacancy. The best candidate for this position will be commercially licensed (Class A or B) with a passenger endorsement to able drive different types of Rescue Mission vehicles in a variety of tasks each day. Some the of vehicles that the Driver will operate are the manual shift box truck to pick up or deliver of donated goods to different organizations throughout the OC; a minibus or a van to transport students, clients, and patients to appointments, school or events.
Some of the Job Duties are (more may be assigned by department):
- Assists all passengers in and out of vehicle. This includes disabled persons and children.
- Secures passenger’s wheelchairs and strollers to restraining devices to stabilize devices during transport.
- Drive people or items to assigned location as pre-designated daily.
- Operates radio or similar device to communicate with staff, supervisor or other vehicle drivers to report disruption of service.
- Cleans and services vehicle with fuel, lubricants, and accessories.
- Maintains proper safety of vehicle, including regular safety checks.
- Immediately report to supervisor any vehicle safety, maintenance and hazard issues.
- Instructs passengers on properly on proper seating and restraints and corrects any actions of passengers that are unsafe (i.e. standing in vehicle, placing arms and hands outside vehicle, unsecured passengers, distracting the driver, etc . . .)
- Keeps records of trips and behavior of passengers.
- Drive a manual transmission box truck
The Driver position requires:
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, attendance in a Bible believing church and signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 1-2 years of driving experience with passengers and driving a manual box truck.
- A valid unrestricted commercial class A or B driver’s license with a passenger endorsement.
- Excellent Customer Service to all passengers.
- Experience in safe secure loading, unloading and transport of disabled passengers.
- Physical ability to assist disabled passengers and/or children in and out of the van.
- Basic Vehicle Maintenance including cleaning of both the inside and outside of vehicle.
- Ability to document accurate and detailed information regarding driving routes and each trip assigned.
- Proven ability to follow all traffic laws and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A pleasant, flexible, professional personality to people you are speaking to on the telephone, visitors, and the OCRM staff.
- Physical ability to occasionally lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software like Outlook Email, Word, Excel.
- Ability to use communication equipment (paging, radio/walkie-talkie)
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record).
To be considered for this position you must complete an application and the Statement of Faith. Click the “APPLY HERE” below to fill out the application and statement of Faith. You can download/print a hard copy application from the main employment page if you have problems with the online employment portal. You may also pick up an application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. You may submit your application by mail (attention Human Resources), email [email protected] or by fax (714)566-6461. This position is open until filled.