In Southern California, there are not many opportunities for experienced, high caliber professionals to work in a large, distinguished ministry. The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the Least, the Last, and the Lost in our community for over 50 years. Our $22 million budget is funded solely by private donations, which enables us to provide meaningful, Christ-centered service to those in need, unencumbered by government regulation or restrictions. Employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is seeking a motivated and dedicated Donor Relations Manager to join the Development team. The position will solicit, cultivate, and build long-term donor relationships for the Orange County Rescue Mission based on the major gift strategy.
- Works closely with the Development Director and Development Manager in the management and fulfillment of a customized donor communications plan, including individual fundraising goals and personalized strategies, to effectively steward, educate, cultivate, and solicit gifts from major donors each fiscal year, with an emphasis on gifts of $1,000 accumulative for the year and higher.
- Meets regularly with the Development Manager and other Donor Relations Managers to discuss and refine plans and donor strategies, to track progress, to receive coaching, to keep open lines of communication, and discuss schedules.
- Supports and contributes to, as is requested by the Development Manager, overall policies and strategies to continually increase major gifts revenue and program growth.
- Qualifies a pool of on average 450 current donors to develop the major donor portfolio.
- Manages relations with a portfolio of on average 150 major donors, following the strategic plan that is specific to each donor and prospect, while always being responsive and attentive to each donor’s interests.
- Use non-critical donor interaction time to compose thank you letters and other meaningful correspondences consistent with donor’s intent of gift and/or season of giving to ensure a personal touch to acknowledgements.
- Strives to arrange and take donors on site visits to tour the Village of Hope and OCRM programs, attend special events and to facilitate face-to-face meetings with donors and OCRM leadership.
- Manages and maintains updated Salesforce OCRM donor database records documenting all donor interactions including tracking correspondence, phone calls, in-person visits and gift acknowledgments.
- Accurately updates excel planning tool (MIC) with donor correspondence and notes, giving history, projections, and upcoming touchpoints to best manage and execute major donor strategies.
- Ensures prayerful attention to donors through accessibility to programs and leadership, timely responsiveness, quality in all interactions and personalized communications.
- Works diligently to meet needed monthly and annual fundraising and contributed income goals, and is purposeful about every donor “touch.”
- Leads in 1:1 solicitation, gift acknowledgment and stewardship communication, traveling as necessary, establishing and maintaining excellent donor relations, providing written proposals to major gift prospects as needed, and including OCRM leadership as appropriate.
- Mission-driven toward goals and focused on their major donor portfolio, but makes effective use of volunteerism opportunities, events, and other initiatives to engage with assigned donors, to bring them closer to OCRM, and deepen their awareness of the impact of the programs especially in areas of their interests and passions.
- Conducts oral presentations to service clubs, groups, and churches assigned.
- Participates in the community by serving in a service club(s) on behalf of RM as needed.
- Assists on projects, and/or activities as needed in the Development Department.
- A completed Orange County Rescue Mission employment application and a signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- A personal relationship with Jesus and member of a Bible believing church.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years successful working experience in fundraising in major or planned gifts preferably in a ministry or non-profit setting. An education equivalency may be requested with more related successful fundraising/major donor gift experience.
- Successful experience soliciting potential new donors with cold calling as well as developing new cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Successful experience using the major gift strategy of building 1:1 donor relationships with benefit planning to engage at a higher level of major gifting year after year.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts.
- Knowledge of current tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates.
- Effectively articulate a case for support so that others take heart to our vision/mission/goals securing gifts at assigned donor giving levels.
- Proficient in Microsoft software along with database entry, reporting, and maintenance. Salesforce is preferred but not required.
- Willingness to work onsite and occasional non-traditional hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to address and quickly problem solve with staff, as well as donors, and be able to intercede and find reasonable solutions in order to maintain harmonious relations.
- This position is considered an “essential job” as the OC Rescue Mission is considered an “essential employer” and requires consistent work onsite at the main location in the event of a community emergency and/or natural disaster.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record).
To apply for this position you must complete a Rescue Mission employment application and the Statement of Faith. Please follow the link below “Apply Here” to our online employment portal to complete the application.
You may also obtain a hard copy application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications in person, by mail (attention Human Resources) or fax (714)566-6461. Salary is contingent on experience and full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.