In Southern California, there are not many opportunities for experienced, high caliber professionals to work in a large, distinguished ministry. The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the Least, the Last, and the Lost in our community for over 50 years. Our $22 million budget is solely funded solely by private donations, which enables us to provide meaningful, Christ-centered service to those in need, unencumbered by government regulation or restrictions. Employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is seeking an experienced Director of Development to lead some of our Development staff teams. The Director of Development is responsible for strategizing, executing and managing the major gifts program, including major donor relations, mid-level donor relations, planned giving, capital needs, and grants, to increase the ministry’s funding base of both Orange County Rescue Mission and Hope Harbor under the direction of the Chief Development Officer. In addition, the Director will manage a caseload of 75 qualified major donors where he/she will be cultivating and stewarding donor relationships as well as proactively soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Develop and implement an annual major gifts strategic plan, in consultation with Veritus Group and the CDO.
- Using both Salesforce CRM and Excel, maintain a monthly reporting system, analyzing and tracking donor relations, planned giving and grants performance and its alignment to goals.
- Provide direct management and supervision to the donor relations team, Hope Harbor Development Associate, and Grants Manager.
- As part of the strategic plan, develop, create, and implement meaningful donor touchpoints, written proposals, strategic asks, and thank you letters.
- Manage an assigned caseload of 75 qualified donors that includes cultivating, stewarding, soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Provide support and assistance to managing the CEO’s caseload of donors.
- Create budget forecasts for the next fiscal year based on previous fiscal years’ performance and strategic goals.
- In conjunction with the Planned Giving Officer, Veritus Group and the CDO, develop and implement a planned giving program.
- Attend donor events and speaking engagements to represent the Rescue Mission as needed.
- Maintain data hygiene and donor activity in Salesforce CRM.
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible, member of a Bible believing church and a completed OC Rescue Mission employment application with a signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of successful management experience in development or fundraising. A minimum of 5 years of major gift fundraising preferably in a ministry or non-profit setting. An equivalency for the supervisory years may be considered with more successful and increased responsibility in experience in major gift fundraising, please ask.
- Successful fundraising experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a record of accomplishment of building donor relationships and closing gifts.
- Knowledge of tax laws that influence charitable giving, personal assets and estates.
- Effectively articulate a case for support so that others take heart to our vision/mission/goals securing gifts at assigned donor giving levels.
- Proficient in Microsoft software along with database entry, reporting, and maintenance. Salesforce is preferred but not required.
- Willingness to work occasional non-traditional hours including weekends and evenings.
- Ability to address and quickly problem solve with staff, as well as donors, and be able to intercede and find reasonable solutions in order to maintain harmonious relations.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record).
- This position is considered essential employment and requires the ability to work onsite during community crisis/emergency disasters to ensure the care of our students under social services guidelines and continue funding for the OC Rescue Mission.
To apply for this position you must complete a Rescue Mission Employment Application and the Statement of Faith. Please take the link below “APPLY HERE” to the Orange County Rescue Mission online employment portal to complete the application and statement of Faith. A PDF version of the application is available for download on our main employment page and a hard copy application is available for at our main office location: 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications via email, fax (714)566-6461, in person at our front desk, or by mail (attention Human Resources). Salary is contingent on experience and full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.