The HURTT Family Health Clinic (HFHC) is a non-profit agency whose vision is to improve the health of low-income residents of Orange County. The clinic provides quality, accessible primary care and behavior health services to pediatric and adult patients coming from a wide range of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, including patients experiencing homelessness. HFHC works in partnership with other community-based organizations to meet the needs of the medically underserved.
The Dentist is responsible for providing preventive and primary dental care consistent with the dentist’s training and experience in a community health center setting.
Job Responsibilities & Duties (subject to change with need of the department)
- Supports a patient-centered healthcare home where the patient-provider relationship is encouraged, with an emphasis on coordination of care and the establishment of a long-term healing
- Examines individuals requesting care, diagnoses their dental/oral conditions, prescribes and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate dental/oral treatment, or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and
- Records patient-dentist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided. In addition, the Dentist shall complete referrals, data collections instruments, and other records or paper work as shall be required from time to time by the Health
- Educates individuals on the nature of oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease
- Supervises dental residents and dental students, as assigned.
- Actively participate in the Dental Quality Improvement Program, and other health center committees as
- Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of community health center staff as
- Travels when necessary to fulfill health center’s needs, and attends meetings as necessary to represent the health
- Maintains and updates skills and knowledge to appropriate professional levels with continuing education courses and educational
- Adheres to the standards and policies of the Organizational Privacy/Security and Compliance Programs, including the duty to comply with applicable laws and regulations (HIPAA, OSHA, OIG guidelines, other State and Federal laws). This also includes reporting issues to Management and Human Resources.
- Participates in recruitment/retention activities for health center as
These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
Job Skills & Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited dental school with 3-5 years of successful related work experience.
- Current DEA registration
- Current Dental license
- Current BLS certification
- NPI number
- Ability to communicate in Spanish in the health care environment.
- Understand cultural competency principles; fluency in a second language preferred
- Valid California drivers’ license and acceptable driving record.(travel to mobile clinic sites will be required)
- Deliver and coordinate patient dental care.
- Recognize and evaluate situations which call for the immediate attention of a dentist or referral to primary medical care by a physician.
- Instruct and counsel patients on health and related matters.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage clinic staff to achieve standards and objectives.
- Diagnosis and treatment of dental problems commonly experienced by homeless persons/underinsured.
- Psychosocial factors involved in administering health service for homeless patients.
- Principles of patient education.
- Adhere to state and federal laws and regulations.
- A pleasant personality to people you are speaking to on the telephone, visitors, and clinic personnel.
- The ability to act and think promptly and professionally.
- Ability to foster a safe environment where people will feel comfortable to share private, pertinent information for effective treatment.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and flexibility within all areas of responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Treat people with dignity, respect, and compassion at all times.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good written communication skills.
- Legible handwriting skills.
- Demonstrated “detail-approach” to administration and organization.
- Hands-on PC compatible computer knowledge, understanding and skill.
- Proficiency with electronic medical records software, Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer.)
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
The Hurtt Clinic is affiliated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, a non-profit; Faith based organization that serves the needs of the homeless. To apply for this position you must complete an application. Please find the “apply here” link on this page to apply directly though our new employment portal. If you would like to fill out a hard copy application, please go to our main employment page to download the application. You may also obtain an application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit your hard copy application by mail (attention Human Resources), fax (714)566-6461 or hand delivered to our front desk. This position is open until filled.