June 29, 2021
Under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist, the Dental Assistant is responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in the direct provision of dental care and treatment services. The Dental Assistant also performs regular basic supportive dental procedures and functions within the scope of a Dental Assistant.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serves as dentists or dental hygienists chair-side assistant.
- Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per Clinic protocols and the dentist or dental hygienists directions.
- Exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Clinic directive and protocol.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the dentist in accordance with state regulation and law and Clinic directive and protocol.
- Maintains Clinic equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and Clinic policy and protocol.
- Maintains all treatment areas in compliance with Clinic directives and protocols as well as policies and procedures relative to infection control exposure control and safety issues.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Maintains a list of all Clinic patients, monitors patient flow, and assists the Dental Director, dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed and filed.
- Updates patient’s electronic medical records, as appropriate.
- Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist or dental hygienist.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, Clinic business and patient care of the Clinic.
- Insures the sterility of all-reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with Clinic directive and protocol.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Clinic directive Clinic policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
- Performs all functions in full compliance with the Clinic Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
- Responsible for personal compliance in full with all applicable federal, state, local and Clinic rules, regulations, protocols and procedures including but not limited to the participation of a Dental Assistant in the provision of general dental care, as well as those relating to, but not limited to personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Completion of accredited course in dental assisting preferred.
- Ability to attend to multiple tasks at the same time and to prioritize assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established deadlines and protocols.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English are required. Effective oral communication skills in Spanish preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of dental assisting techniques and procedures for all phases of general dentistry.
- Knowledgeable of modern dental materials, their storage, handling and applications is required.
- General awareness of the expectations and concerns of the Clinic’s dental patients and be able to respond in an empathetic and professional manner.
- Ability to work with persons from a wide diversity of social, ethnic and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to creatively work with other health care professionals from a variety of disciplines to achieve maximal results for the Clinic’s patient from a system of integrated primary health care.