In Southern California, there aren’t many opportunities for experienced, high caliber professionals to work in a large, distinguished ministry. The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the Least, the Last, and the Lost in our community for over 50 years. Our $22 million budget is funded solely by private donations, which enables us to provide meaningful, Christ-centered service to those in need, unencumbered by government regulation or restrictions. Employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is seeking an experienced, dynamic and collaborative leader to join its management team as the Controller. The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. As the number-two executive to the CFO, the Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team. This position will lead all day-to-day finance operations and supervise a team of 4-5 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and grants administration. The Controller will ensure the continued financial success of the five separate entities (Orange County Rescue Mission, Inc. (OCRM), Hurtt Family Health Clinic, Inc. (HURTT), Inland Empire Rescue Mission, Inc. (IERM) and Hope Family Housing, Inc) and their programs, while keeping the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
In addition, this person will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
The qualified candidate for this position must have proven successful nonprofit management experience overseeing the finances of complex organizations with multiple programs and funding sources, both government and private. He/she will bring a mix of energy, flexibility, vision, sense of urgency, willingness to make tough decisions, and the ability to relate and minister to all levels within the organization. This position will play a significant role in shaping the Rescue Mission’s future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned):
- Maintains and updates corporate accounting policies and procedures to reflect best practices.
- Completes monthly accounting close of the corporate financial statements and prepares the month end entries for review with the CFO.
- Reviews monthly account reconciliations with the Accounting Manager.
- Reviews bimonthly payroll journal entry with Payroll Specialist and reconciles it to the payroll system.
- Prepares reports with comparisons to budget/forecast and prior year business activities, along with variance analysis.
- Works with EMR Database and billing company on medical insurance aging and reconciliation with Great Plains.
- Assists in preparation of budgets, reviews budget proposals, and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification for review with the CFO.
- Assists in the preparation of the board packages for review with the CFO.
- Oversees the cash collection and disbursement of each of the entities and ensures that polices & procedures are followed.
- Stays up to date with current GAAP and best practices for accounting procedures to implement within each of the companies. Under the direction of the CFO, Prepares for all audits. These include an annual financial audit, an A-133 government audit, contractual compliance audits as stipulated in each contract, county audits and other audits as required.
- Prepares reports required by regulatory agencies or grantor organizations.
- May assist with preparation of financial information required for grant applications for all companies.
- Manages relations with banks and other financial institutions.
- Research ad hoc issues as they arise. (e.g. unexplained invoices, etc.)
- Acts as Liaison between the Clinic and the billing company. Under the direction of the CFO, Responsible for initial review of billing with the third party billing company to ensure compliance, completeness, and accuracy.
- Enters manual checks into the banking system to ensure there are no issues or rejections.
Manages employees in Accounting: Accounting Manager, Accounts Receivable, and Accounts Payable.
Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Job Skills & Requirements
- A personal relationship with Jesus and signed acknowledgment of the Rescue Mission’s Statement of Faith.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with a minimum of four years of comparable work experience, financial duties and responsibilities (non profit, ministry or healthcare). An equivalency can be made for the Bachelors Degree with more working experience or finance licensing.
- Experience in Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) accounting software, Salesforce, FRX, Excel and database management are significant pluses.
- Experience in a successful management/administrative role of nonprofit organizations. Experience with FQHC would also be a significant plus.
- Experience in project planning and budgeting.
- Strong working knowledge of basic four-function math, fractions and decimals with the ability to operate 10-key adding machine by touch.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Christ-centered behavior, i.e., treating all people (staff, visitors, students, friends and family) with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times.
- The ability to act and think promptly and professionally.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organization skills.
- Proficient in basic typing (40 wpm) and Microsoft Windows operating system, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Explorer.
- Maintain an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record).
- Regular involvement in a local Bible-believing church.
- Regular timely attendance.
All applicants must complete an application and a Statement of Faith. Please take the “apply here” link to the Employment application and Statement of Faith. You may also obtain a hard copy of the application at our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782 or by requesting one via email at [email protected] We are currently accepting applications via email, fax (714)566-6461, mail and in person. Please make sure that you write the job you are applying for and “Attention Human Resources” if you drop it off in person or mail the application. This position is open until filled.
We are currently transitioning to our new applicant tracking system. During this time, please email your application to [email protected] or fax to 714-566-6461. Thank you!