In Southern California, there are not many opportunities for experienced, high caliber professionals to work in a large, distinguished ministry. The Orange County Rescue Mission has been serving the Least, the Last, and the Lost in our community for over 50 years. Our $22 million budget is funded solely by private donations, which enables us to provide meaningful, Christ-centered service to those in need, unencumbered by government regulation or restrictions. Employment at the Orange County Rescue Mission is a unique opportunity to make a profound impact in your community, while fulfilling your calling to serve Jesus Christ.
The Rescue Mission is seeking an experienced and professional Controller to join our Accounting Department. The Controller directs the accounting activities and operations for all entities of the organization while supervising a small staff and reporting to the CFO. This position is responsible for the production of financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to avoid risk, enhance the accuracy of the organization’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted but accurate accounting principles.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned depending upon the needs of the organization)
- Review all inter-company charges and receivables transactions for accuracy.
- Review and update all entities (OCRM/HURTT/TSI) invoices for the Rent and Shared Service Agreements.
- Review and approve all Bank Statement reconciliations and invoices to be paid, listing for weekly check run.
- Review payroll reports for accuracy and approve payroll journal entry for all entities.
- Review invoices/expenses ensuring proper coding, approvals and accrual accounting.
- Approve month end JE’s – see month end checklist for all companies.
- Research and respond to Positive Pay Exceptions & ACH Exceptions with Union Bank and Sunwest Bank.
- Prepare the monthly Financial Statements for all companies accurately and on time.
- Prepare Financial Board packages for Rescue Mission and Hurtt Family Health Clinic.
- Email Financial Statements to staff (monthly).
- Provide financial data to Grant Writing department, upon request.
- Prepare Hurtt Health Clinic Patient Insurance AR/Income Entry for Great Plains.
- Reconcile Hurtt Health Clinic AR quarterly.
- Review the Hurtt Health Clinic billing invoices with the Sr. Accounting Clerk.
- Accurately track expenses to support the HRSA draw downs.
- Assist with annual Tax Returns, budget preparation and planning for all companies.
- Assist with Uniform Data Systems (UDS) and Office of Statewide Health and Planning Departments Reports (OSHPD), Medi-Cal and Medicare Cost Reports.
- Prepare and File Business Property Tax returns and file Welfare Exemptions.
- Provide supervision for overall staff direction, communication, coordination, and employee evaluation in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Assist occasionally in the account staff recruitment process, employee training, employee relations that may include discipline and/or conflict management.
- A personal relationship with Jesus, good working knowledge of the Bible and a completed OC Rescue Mission employment application with the signed acknowledgment of the Statement of Faith.
- Master’s degree in Accounting. A Bachelors in Accounting may be accepted with more related work experience or CPA license, please ask.
- Experience working in a fast-paced Accounting Department for more than 7 years, nonprofit or ministry accounting and/or a multiple entity organization is required. Experience or understanding of FQHC (Federally Qualified Health Care) accounting purposes and payroll practices is preferred but not required.
- Current CPA license and/or payroll experience is preferred, but not required.
- Successful “hands-on” supervisory experience with a minimum staff of 3-5 subordinates for more than one year.
- Driven but flexible team member with the ability and commitment to perform “hands-on” work when needed, including occasional work beyond regular work hours.
- Excellent administrative and communication skills in verbal or written form.
- Detail oriented organization, planning and budgeting skills.
- Master experience in mathematical knowledge and abilities (basic four-function math, fractions and decimals and computing rates, ratios, percentages, create and/or interpret bar graphs).
- Ability to manage projects promptly and effectively to achieve efficient results and meet deadlines given.
- A pleasant personality with Christ-centered behavior to all people at all times (i.e., treating people with dignity, respect, compassion, and integrity) while representing the Orange County Rescue Mission.
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals in crisis with having the ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Hands-on basic computer knowledge with proficiency in typing and operating 10-key adding machine by touch.
- Proficient knowledge and experience in Microsoft Software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer).
- Experience in additional software platforms such as Great Plains/Microsoft Dynamics (accounting), FRX, and database management are preferred but not required.
- Maintain an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2 DMV points on driving record).
- The Orange County Rescue Mission is considered an “Essential Employer” during community crisis/disasters/emergencies, therefor your employment is considered “essential” and you will be expected to show up and perform your essential job duties as designated by the organization.
To officially apply for this position with the required Orange County Rescue Mission employment application and the Statement of Faith, please go take the link below “Apply Here” to our employment portal.
You may also obtain a hard copy application on our main employment page and at the front desk of our main office at 1 Hope Drive, Tustin, CA 92782. Please submit any hard copy applications in person, by mail (attention Human Resources) or by fax (714)566-6461. Salary is contingent on experience and full benefits will be offered at the time of hire. This position is open until filled.