The HURTT Family Health Clinic is a nonprofit health clinic that serves the needs of low-income families of Orange County, California. The Hurtt Family Health Clinic is looking to fill a vacancy for a full-time Clinic Manager position. This position is responsible for coordinating the efficient flow of medical, dental, behavioral health, and mobile unit services for the HFHC, under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer. The Clinic Manager is responsible for directly supervising the administration staff (Patient Services Representatives, Medical Assistants, Team Leads and Call Center Associate), clinic telecommunications and clinic medical records. The Clinic Manager is also responsible for developing a culture of teamwork within the departments in order to guarantee an excellent customer service experience between patients, families, health care providers and health center employees to ensure all interactions with parties coming into contact with the clinic are congruent with the health center’s core values.
Essential job Functions:
Coordinate Patient Support Services
- Coordinates and supervises the daily activities of the Patient Services Representatives, Medical Assistants, Leads, and Call Center Associates.
- Resolves routine and semi-complex problems independently. Works collaboratively with the Registered Nurse and Medical Director to deliver an excellent patient experience and ensure optimal clinic workflow. Appropriately escalates patient complaints, quality risk events and complex issues to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Assists subordinates with non-complex work-related matters to include, but not limited to: analyzing patient and provider scheduling priorities, answering telephones using proper telephone etiquette, greeting and processing patients, keeping patients and providers informed of their respective status and retrieving health information as needed.
- Responds promptly and appropriately to patients and employees in a manner that is consistent with the health center’s core values.
- Contributes to the success of Hurtt Family Health Clinic by developing and leading quality improvement activities.
- Ensures that the essential functions of Medical Assistants and Leads, are carried out in a satisfactory manner. Collaborates with the Registered Nurse to ensure the work of the Medical Assistants and Team Lead adequately supports the needs of the primary care teams.
- Monitors phone utilization and properly staffs to meet patient demand.
Accurate Appointment Scheduling and Patient Check-in Processing
- Works with the Team Leads to ensure Patient Services Representatives deliver high quality customer service at all times (in-person and on the phone).
- Proactively monitors the medical clinic’s schedule in order to ensure optimal patient access and department productivity goals are achieved.
- Ensures patient appointment scheduling is completed in accordance with the health center’s protocols (maximize appointment scheduling, ensuring patients are check-in accurately and facilitating proper registration with various public and private funded programs)
- Coordinates patient reminder and no-show calls.
- Works with the Team Leads to ensure Patient Services Representatives efficiently and accurately check-in patients.
- Ensures the health center’s Sliding Fee Policies are accurately and consistently carried out by the Patient Services Representatives.
- Ensures cash collection process is completed accurately and employs procedures to verify collection activities are conducted in a manner consistent with the health center’s policies.
- Ensures confidentiality of protected health information (PHI) — written, electronic and verbal communications.
- Ensures that health information is organized in a timely and accurate manner that is consistent with the health center’s policies and procedures.
- Ensures the integrity of data in the health center’s electronic health record.
- Coordinates the conversion of paper records to an electronic format. Ensures that electronic documents are uploaded to patients’ electronic medical record accurately and in a timely manner.
- Oversees tasks generated via the electronic health record’s task management system and any corresponding queues.
- Co-share responsibility with Clinic Administrator and Business Analyst of the health center’s electronic patient portal.
- Ensures that the Medical Assistants, Team Leads, and Patient Services Representatives accurately document their work in the electronic health record.
- Ensures that patient consents and releases are used in a manner consistent with the health center’s protocols.
- Responsible for reconciling electronic PHI exports and imports.
- Evaluates staff performance against job description criteria and competency assessment; provides guidance and coaching to develop individuals as well as the team to highest potential.
- In conjunction with the Chief Operating Officer, recommends hiring, promoting, and disciplinary action for the Patient Services Representative, Call Center, Team Leads, Referral Coordinator, Outreach Navigator, and Medical Assistants.
- Assesses training needs, promotes developmental activities and provides staff in-services.
- Conducts team and department meetings to promote communication, assess and resolve staff needs and foster good teamwork.
- Keeps staff informed of organization activities and promotes Hurtt’s mission, vision, values and goals.
- Schedules and tracks attendance and paid time off. Ensures that time keeping protocols are followed.
- Takes lead role in preparing for and participating in program audits, including but not limited to: VFC/A, CalOptima, Monarch, CHOC, CHPD, F-PACT, EWC-CDP, and HRSA.
- Participates and leads initiatives to enhance the health center’s Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) care delivery model.
- Assists in developing and maintaining health information privacy manuals, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with the Registered Nurse and Team Leads to ensure proper inventory of medical supplies and vaccines is maintained.
- Coordinates with the Chief Operating Officer and Medical Director with developing provider schedules.
- Participates at the QI/QA committee and supports QI initiatives to deliver a high level of primary care services.
- Takes the lead with patient’s complaints and program grievances to ensure reports are handled in a timely manner.
- Provides first level information technology (IT) support.
These duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor. For the complete list of job duties, please see employment website or official job description.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in related field (Masters preferred) with a minimum of 2 yrs work experience in outpatient primary care clinic or like industry (community and/or FQHC Federally Qualified Health Center experience preferred). Also, 1 year of medical office supervisory experience is required. An education equivalency may be made by request with more related work experience to the specific position and duties.
- Bilingual (Fluent conversationally and written) in Spanish/English with a basic knowledge of medical terminology is strongly preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer) with working knowledge of EMR platforms, (eClinical Works preferred)
- A strong desire to serve the under and uninsured patient population of Orange County with the ability to foster a safe environment where people will feel comfortable to share private pertinent information for effective treatment.
- Strong, positive leadership and managerial skills with a “detail-approach” to administration and organization.
- Essential abilities include the ability to multitask, think critically, problem solve with a proactive approach and remain confidential with appropriate information.
- Maintains an acceptable driving record (in accordance with our insurance carrier, less than 2DMV points on driving record)
The Hurtt Clinic is affiliated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, a non-profit; Faith based organization that serves the needs of the homeless. To officially apply for this position YOU MUST complete a HURTT Family Health Clinic Application. Please take the link below or on the main employment page to download the application. When complete, please fax it to 714-566-6461 or email to [email protected]. The position is open until filled.
We are currently transitioning to our new applicant tracking system. During this time, please email your application to [email protected] or fax to 714-566-6461. Thank you!