Tustin Temporary Emergency Shelter is a 50-bed shelter for homeless adults – some of whom have substance abuse problems and/or mental illness – that seeks to provide the assistance clients need to regain their self-sufficiency. Tustin Temporary Emergency Shelter (TTES) is looking to hire a part time Care Coordinator to assist the Site Supervisor with evening services Monday through Friday 5pm – 9pm. This part time position is an important member of the team and will assist full time staff with needed services during the busiest time of the day while processing returning guests to the shelter each evening. Some of these services will vary each day depending on the needs of the shelter staff at that time.
- Assist with registration, intake, assessment, and orientation and data entry for new campus guests.
- Understand and communicate shelter policies and procedures to guests as needed.
- Assist with ongoing ADA guest assessments as their needs change.
- Assist with meal service and clean-up.
- Assist with regular inspections and headcounts.
- Answer phones and take messages as needed.
- Assist with laundering of linens and clothing.
- Distribute towels, blankets, hygiene products, etc.
- Report incidents or emergency situations immediately (e.g., accidents, fire, police, etc.).
- Enforce policies and procedures as posted.
- Manage any concerns that arise, acting appropriately to resolve problems.
- Practice de-escalation with guests.
- Respond to the social needs and accommodations of guests.
- Attend trainings and meetings as assigned by supervisor or management.
- High School diploma or GED. Some college preferred.
- 6 months – 1 year of work experience with homeless people.
- Knowledge of homeless resources to assist in housing and other related issues and committed to housing and homeless issues is essential.
- 1,000 hours of experience or equivalent experience working with homeless persons and/or families within a shelter or in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in an independent manner, able to meet deadlines and complete all work in a timely manner (within required deadlines).
- Ability to work flexible schedules, including evenings and/or weekends if needed.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, etc.); Excellent database skills
- Proven ability to conduct all interactions with all constituents in a highly ethical manner demonstrating high level of integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise appropriate judgment with tact and diplomacy both under normal and stressful situations. Must be able to maintain appropriate composure when faced with escalated situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful and effective relationships Temporary Shelter constituents. Includes ability to successfully work collaboratively and or independently.
- Demonstrated solutions based approach to problem solving in an effective, efficient and timely manner. Ability to be creative and show initiative.
- Ability to follow policies and organize work to Temporary Shelter policies, procedures and best practices which include any related federal, state, or local agency requirement.
Please take the link below “Apply Here” to go to our online employment portal to complete the Tustin Temporary Emergency Shelter official employment application. A Tustin Shelter PDF version of the application is available for download from the employment page or emailed per request. Please submit any hard copy applications via email or in person to the main front desk of the Orange County Rescue Mission in a sealed envelope addressed to HR. Please call 714-247-4369 with any online application problems or PDF email requests.