Skip to content

Where Does Your Donation Go?


The OC Register recently published an article titled ‘Can bad charities be punished?’ highlighting accountability and consequences for organizations that exploit heart wrenching stories to turn around and stuff the pockets of professional fund raisers with upwards of 77% of the dollars raised.

Especially approaching a holiday season where numerous non-profit organizations will be soliciting funds from those emotionally invested in ‘the spirit of giving,’ it is important to educate yourself on general fund raising tips to be aware of where your dollar is going. Rather than perpetuating paranoia about seemingly sketchy organizations, simply take note of some valuable ground rules for understanding where your hard-earned money is actually going.

As Teri Sforza  cited in the OC Register; Charity Navigator, and the Better Business Bureau are great sources for tips in your charitable giving. Here are a few to take note of:

  • Beware of phone solicitations. If a charity calls, ask how much of your donation will actually go to the charity, and how much foes to the telemarketer.
  • Refuse high pressure appeals, legitimate charities won’t rush you to donate. Be wary of a group that offers to pick up your donation.
  • Don’t fall for the name game. Scam artists often try to take advantage of names that sound or look like those of respected, legitimate charities.
  • Give to charities that mazimize the use of every dollar: and ask them to document it. the most efficient spend at least 65% to 75% of their budgets on programs or services, with the remaining 25% to 35% spent on administrative and fundraising costs.
  • Skip the party and donate online . Internet contributions are one of the most efficient ways for nonprofits to receive donations- they get to keep all of your donation rather than paying for your chicken dinner and the band when you attend the gala ball.

I could not be more thankful for the dedicated faithfulness of the donors of the Orange County Rescue Mission. As a reasonable return to your generosity, we are happy to provide several of these tools to hold the programs at OCRM accountable to what your dollar is paying for.

OCRM pie chartOCRM’s Charity Navigator standing:    HERE

If you are looking for a charity or a cause to donate to this holiday season or even a non-profit to get your family involved with long term, I can guarantee the good financial standing of the Orange County Rescue Mission in addition to the effectiveness of the program to make a difference in the lives of those that it serves.

To give a gift today: DONATE NOW


Help Us Create More Stories Like The One You Just Read